T20 World Cup 2024 – Afghanistan vs New Zealand Tips and Betting Preview

There are two night matches at the T20 World Cup on Friday with the first of them coming from Guyana where Group C continues when New Zealand get their tournament underway against a dangerous Afghanistan side.

Group C was always going to be the most interesting one with three top level sides looking for two qualifying spots and both of these sides will know that this is going to be a massive clash in the race for progression in the tournament.

Afghanistan

Afghanistan have already got their tournament underway and they did so in emphatic fashion. I don’t think it is too disrespectful to claim that they were never going to lose to Uganda but as well as winning the match the overriding task at hand was to ensure they won by as big a margin as possible so that if net run rate becomes important in this section, and it very well could, then they would have given themselves a leg up. They did exactly that with a 125 run winning margin.

We are going to find out a lot more about how serious the credentials are of Afghanistan in this match where they are going to be tested a lot more but having had a match on this ground and most of their big guns having delivered in that contest they will certainly be feeling good about their chances. If they are going to win this match then their top two could do with getting them off to a good start. If that happens it will be game on.

New Zealand

It seems that every time we come to a tournament New Zealand are never spoken about as loudly as they should be in terms of being potential winners and that is the case here. This time there can be a little bit of trepidation because of the group they are in but the Kiwis seemingly always turn up and outperform expectations whenever an ICC event comes along. I don’t think this squad is loaded with the standout talent previous ones have but you still write them off at your peril.

I guess most talk will be on the New Zealand bowling attack at this tournament. That is an area where they don’t look to have got any weaker but we shouldn’t ignore the batting. In a competition where technique has been tested perhaps more than any other T20 global event, they have players equipped with good technique but ones who can flick the switch into power as well. If New Zealand win this match plenty of people will start talking about them as potential champions.

Special Offer

Open a new Sporting Index account and bet £10 on the T20 World Cup (min odds 1/2) to get £20 in free bets (2x£10 free bets) to use on any sports market! Click the image below to take advantage of this great offer! 18+ T&Cs apply. Gamble Responsibly.

Team News

There is clearly no reason for Afghanistan to change a team that has just won by 125 runs but they might think that in these conditions and against this opponent that Noor Ahmad would be a good option with his spin.

New Zealand are expected to reunite Finn Allen and Devon Conway at the top of their batting order but it would appear that Rachin Ravindra will take his place as the second spinner in the middle order despite opening so well in the IPL.

Betting

I think Afghanistan are overpriced here. I think it is a big advantage that they have played a match especially when you consider that New Zealand haven’t played a warm up match of any kind and even their series in Pakistan last month was basically a fringe side because of the players they had at the IPL. This was a strong looking Afghanistan side anyway but one which has the advantage of having played a match makes the 19/10 on them winning seem a big price. I’m not saying New Zealand won’t win or can’t win but even on a level playing field I think Afghanistan merit more respect that those odds but at the price, especially if the openers can get them off to a solid start, the Asian side have to be the pick.

I also can’t avoid the 9/1 on Glenn Phillips to be the top New Zealand batter. There are so many question marks over the New Zealand top three. The ball may not come onto the bat to suit Finn Allen while Devon Conway and Kane Williamson are coming back from injury and might need this outing to find their timing in the middle. We’ve seen throughout the tournament so far that the second 10 overs are much easier to bat than the first 10 and if that rings true here that brings Phillips right into the game. He is a decent player of spin and top scored against pretty much this exact Afghanistan attack in the 50 over World Cup in October. He has also played plenty of times in the Caribbean Premier League so will have the advantage of knowing the conditions. That price is too big.

Tips

Back Afghanistan to beat New Zealand for a 3/10 stake at 2.90 with William Hill

Back them here:

Back G.Phillips Top New Zealand Batter for a 1/10 stake at 10.00 with Betfair